Saturday 27 June 2015

Pars, Disneyland & Where to Visit


Disneyland & the most expensive meal of our lives on the Champs Elysees 
Paris is just beautiful to me. Full of culture, amazing patisserie's with strong coffee and sophisticated people milling around this busy city of extremes. Yes Paris can be a cliché for some but I love it. Living in London it's never been easier to travel to Paris via Eurostar in a matter of hours, all in a comfortable seat and plenty of snacks!

Adam surprised me with a trip for my birthday (yes this post has been a long time coming...my birthday was at the end of Feb!), and I couldn't have been more excited. I LOVE romance, the idea of it, the cheesy chick flicks, imagining romantic strolls down the Champs Elysées. And yes, I may have dropped hints for the past 3 years that we've been together that I really wanted to have a romantic break away in gay Paris, and it was just as special as I expected!
This is also a thank you to Adam. For putting up with my need to have a clean and tidy flat - all.the.time, my eBay addiction, my love of smelly candles and all things girly, my lack of love for his favourite horror movies, and my moaning that he never buys me flowers. Well don't I just sound like a treat! So for all my flaws...thanks for putting up with me.

Laduree Macarons, bites of heaven
Laduree Cake
Not content with a romantic Paris trip, Adam also booked tickets to Disneyland. "WHAT THE ACTUAL EFF" I think was my response. I've never been to Disneyland, heck, I didn't go abroad until I was 16 with my friend and her family so Disneyland never featured in my childhood (1st world problems, right?). However, my love of Disney has never faltered and even though I'm at an age where it's probably not acceptable to have a Disney Princess lunch box for work, I was set to burst at the though of a whole host of Disney magic thrust into my birthday face. 


I won't bore you with a step by step of our weekend away, but I will say it was incredible. We ate so much food, drank gorgeous champagne and laughed a lot.

 Instead, I've put together a must do list for the first timer's or not-been-there-for-a-whilers amongst you. It's touristy so for any seasoned Paris travellers I'd love to know where to visit next time I go! One tip though - if you don't speak French at least learn a few basic phrases, everyone will appreciate that you tried and if like me, they'll know you're not fluent and speak back to you in English (yep, my French was obviously that good...cheers A in French GCSE you helped me no end!)



Where to visit on a quick break

1. Laduree  or Pierre Herme for delicious macarons - I love macarons and I've tried a lot, but these two (situated in the heart of Paris), are such a gorgeous treat. Ladauree do more than just deserts here, you can also have a breakfast, lunch or dinner and a cheeky drink or two if you're feeling flush. One warning? Be prepared to queue! 
2. Disneyland Paris -Why should kids have all the fun?! A 40 min metro ride from the centre of Paris means you're not too far for a day visit! Get there early and plan your visit, we made the mistake of just milling around and the queues build up really quickly so pick your fave rides and go to them first. I'd also say take snacks or lunch if you're not a huge fan of fast food...there's little else to chose from!
3. Walking Tour or Bus Tour - We had a day of touristy fun walking from the Eiffel tower, down to the Louvre, all the way down the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. It took hours but we saw so much of the city that we'd have passed by going on public transport. City buses are also brilliant for this as you can hop on and off all around the city throughout the day.
4. Gallerie Lafayette - A huge department store. But not just any department store. It's stunning and worth going for the awe factor and a quick bite to eat if you're not interested in shopping.
5. Try our new foods! I found a great blog post over on SFP which rounds up some gems if you love your food.


Au revoir from me and my pal Mickey for now! 





No comments:

Post a Comment