Sunday 5 July 2015

WEEKLY MEAL IDEAS & RECIPE #2

Dinners:

Monday: Leftover roast dinner
Tuesday: Hot chicken & mediterranean vegetable salad with mustard dressing & onion focaccia bread
Wednesday: Spaghetti Bolognaise
Thursday: Homemade Calzone with spinach salad
Friday: Chicken shish kebabs with pitta, salad & chippy chips
Saturday: Breaded Mozzarella with Giant gous cous & aubergine (Gousto Meal)
SundayRoast Dinner

Another week gone by in this crazy hot summer we're having (I'm currently sat in my baking hot flat sweating glistening), and another meal plan! I've not always planned my meals out like this but I'm really getting into the swing of it over the last few months and hope it's inspired you to maybe give it a go.

Planning out my meals like this stemmed from testing both Hello Fresh and Gousto boxes where you get 4-5 meals planned for you per week with all of the fresh ingredients delivered to your door. Although I've not kept up subscriptions, it's inspired me to test our new ideas and to plan meals (I don't miss the dreaded look into the fridge trying to conjure up a tasty meal with a pack of bacon, withered salad and half a jar of mustard).

I've been trying some fresher ideas this week, with the heat you just don't to want to dig into a steaming bowl of chilli and rice so I've been geared more towards salad and chicken based meals.

I decided to make homemade calzone and it was a triumph! I cheated a little with the bread mix but I've also popped a link to a perfect base recipe below. 

THE PERFECT CALZONE RECIPE



Serves 2
Pizza base mix (or make your own from scratch here)
Passata
Mozzarella balls
Fresh Basil
Mixed Herbs
Salt & Pepper
Ham
Red Onion
Mushrooms
Grated Cheddar (optional)
(I had no ham and added some red pepper and sweetcorn as I love loads of veg)

What to do:

If you're using the bread mix, empty the contents into a mixing bowl and add 100ml of water (fyi if you want to make for 4 just buy 2 bread mix packets and combine with 200ml of water).
Stir with a spoon or fork until it starts to form a dough. Once it's formed, flour your worktop and rolling pin and pop the dough on the worktop.
Knead the bread for approx 5 mins working the dough clockwise after each knead. Add more flour if it' starts to get sticky (mine did as my flat was SO HOT).
After 5 mins, separate the dough into balls and roll out into pizza bas sized circles. Pop onto baking trays and put somewhere warm with a cloth over to rise. 
After 15 mins the dough should have risen and it's time to fill!
Empty your passata into a bowl, add a salt & pepper to taste, rip up a handful of basil and drop in, and sprinkle 1tsp of mixed herbs. Stir and spoon onto your base.
Make sure you only add the passata and toppings to half of your base and leave a few cm free from sauce around the edges as you're going to fold in half soon
Sprinkle in your ham and veg making sure you don't overfill. Finally rip the mozzarella balls into chunks.
Finally fold the empty half over the toppings, press down around the edges and then fold the edges over slightly.
If your dough it's sticking at the edges you can always brush the edges with some milk or whisked egg yolk to secure. 
Finally you can sprinkle the tops of the calzone with cheddar but I did that only because I LOVE cheese. 


Pop them into the oven for around 15 mins or until golden brown. Voila.



No comments:

Post a Comment